Steel detailing is a vital step in constructing structures involving steel components. Steel detailing is a focused process in which the exact dimensions and functions of steel elements involved in the structure are planned and laid out. This enables fabricators and erectors to execute their jobs efficiently and accurately, ensuring that the steel structures can sustain for years.
Steel detailers must follow specific detailing standards depending on the project’s geography. These standards are devised by various international institutions like the AISC, BCSA, and JSSC, with immense knowledge, research, and analysis. These steel standards intend to develop high-performing steel structures depending on the geographical conditions, terrain type, and climate of that specific region.
Organisations responsible for steel detailing standards across the globe:
Organisations that govern standards in the Americas:
- American Institute of Steel Construction: AISC’s 360 specifications for buildings involving steel structures and AISC steel building structure’s authoritative volume are referred to in the codes of all US buildings.
- American Welding Society: To spread awareness of the importance of welding, the American Welding Society has published a ‘welding journal’. It also offers certification programs for disciplines related to welding.
- Canadian Institute of Steel Construction: CISC’s code guides the current practices of structural steel fabrication and erection in Canada.
- Brazilian steel institute: IBS is involved in several types of research related to steel. It also forms various policies and programs that aim to protect the Brazilian steel industry by focusing on sustainability.
Organisations that govern standards in Europe:
- British Constructional Steelwork Association: BCSA provides certification services to steel supply chains and contractors.
- Norwegian Steel Association: NSA mainly deals with the regulation of construction products and sets standards for steel design and execution.
- European Confederation of iron and steel industries: The confederation comprises national associations and steel companies in Europe. Its purpose is to promote cooperation among all its members on issues related to the development of the steel industry.
Organisations that govern standards in Asia:
- China steel construction society: With the inclusion of undertakings and enterprises from the Chinese construction field, the China steel construction society is a national organisation of technology and economy. It has a directed journal named ‘Steel Construction’ that comprises a list of standards and codes.
- Japanese society of steel construction: JSSC is the body that takes care of quality control of Japan’s construction of steel structures. Also, being a deliberative body of ISO/TC167, it participates in steel material and TC, erection, fabrication, and design.
Organisations that govern standards in Africa:
- The Southern African Institute of Steel Construction: SAISC is primarily responsible for South Africa’s development in steel construction and related manufacturing sectors.
- African Iron & Steel Association: It promotes the development of iron ore mining, iron and steel industries, processing, consumption, and distribution of iron and steel along with their sub-products.
At Prozteel, our detailers team are not only experts in the process but also have an in-depth understanding of the different standards to be considered while pursuing the steel detailing process. As a part of the steel detailing service provided by Prozteel, we ensure strict adherence to the standards mentioned by the clients to meet the regulatory requirements of the target location.